Friday, February 6, 2009

Counting down the days...

Okay, 11 days until we leave for China, and 15 days until we meet Sawyer! I have piles of stuff all over the place to pack for the trip -- somehow I'm supposed to fit all of these items into 3 suitcases -- each of which is required to weigh less than 44 pounds, and 3 backpacks -- hmmm... not sure how this will work out. The baby stuff alone takes up so much room: diapers, bottles, formula, blankies, toys, jammies, Cheerios -- along with the complete pharmacy that I'm carrying with me. I also have 2 large bags of girl-clothes that I'm bringing to donate to the orphanage --these items are courtesy of my super-special nieces, Jacey and Cady -- I think it's so great that their adorable clothes can now be worn by babies in Sawyer's SWI! I'm bringing a very minimum amount of clothing for Clayton, Cooper and myself -- 3 complete outfits each, so we'll be wearing the same clothes over and over and over in our trip photos. We start our trip up in the cold part of China -- Beijing -- it's not really that cold there compared to here in Minnesota, but we'll still need hats, gloves, coats -- I've heard the Great Wall is a very windy place and that we need to bundle up -- according to the internet, it's around 35 degrees in Beijing right now. Then, we travel a bit south to central China to the city of Chongqing in the Sichuan Province -- that's where Sawyer is, and we get to spend 5-6 days there. Right now it looks like the temp there is 55-60 degrees. Finally, we move to far-southern China, to Guangzhou. This is where we remove all our layers of clothing and will be reminded of hot, sticky Houston weather -- it's about 80 degrees in Guangzhou now. We'll be in Guangzhou for 4-5 days before traveling back up to Beijing again to begin the trip back home to Minnesota. So, obviously, I have to think LAYERS as I pack our clothes. I also read about a trick people do -- they bring their old underwear that they hate and no longer want -- they wear this underwear on the trip and simply trash it as it gets dirty, lightening their luggage as they dispose of old undies. I love this plan -- I've already sorted thru my undie-drawer and plan on wearing my ugly old undies throughout the trip, discarding them as I travel through China :) We'll probably do the same thing with socks -- we all have socks that it's definitely time to kiss good-bye! So, back to packing and organizing -- I have to be honest here, I actually love to do this -- I've always been the personality type who loves to organize things -- give me a drawer or a closet to straighten out any day -- it's actually fun for me. Don't hear me wrong here -- I DO NOT like to clean, but I LOVE to organize -- it's like a puzzle :) I'm glad it's the weekend -- travel aisle at Target and Walmart, here I come!

1 comment:

Dan and Karen said...

Cheryl,

I'm an organizer too and I loved reading your post! You will love the Great Wall and other sights of Beijing. We are so anxious to follow your journey, especially since you are taking the exact same route we did. Enjoy Chongqing and Guangzhou too! (80 degrees sounds so good right now!).

Karen & Dan